Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Further thoughts on joy

I wrote about some things a found while studying about joy in the Book of Mormon. I noted how the worldly joy was described sometimes but only the "spiritual" joy could "fill" you or make your joy "full". The verb "fill" has been discussed before and I included a reminder in my last post. A Jewish rabbi suggests that the underlying Hebrew for the adjective, "full" in this context, comes from the Hebrew, "shalem" (see the rabbi's comment to verse 7). It can be translated as complete, safe/at peace or even designate a covenant relationship (see item 3 under Brown-Driver-Briggs in the "shalem" link).

We looked at some examples of joy being full in the previous post. Another interesting one is in Alma 26.
10 And it came to pass that when Ammon had said these words, his brother Aaron rebuked him, saying: Ammon, I fear that thy joy doth carry thee away unto boasting.
11 But Ammon said unto him: I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.
Notice how Ammon tells his brother in essence that his joy is not just a worldly joy that he uses to boast, but his joy is full, implying that it is the kind of joy that he has in his God. It is the kind of joy that is complete, brings peace and comes from a covenant relation with Him.

Another thing I have noticed is that joy is often associated with works/fruit relating to the gathering of Israel/missionary work. Recall in the previous post that the works of men in 3 Nephi 27 gave joy "for a season". But the joy of the disciples in 3 Nephi 28 would be "full". What was the difference? They would be engaged in the work of bringing "souls of men unto me" (3 Nephi 28:9).

Alma says that
the Lord doth give me exceedingly great joy in the fruit of my labors (Alma 36:25)
Enos says something similar.
I must preach and prophesy unto this people, and declare the word according to the truth which is in Christ. And I have declared it in all my days, and have rejoiced in it above that of the world. (Enos 1:26)
Perhaps this idea initially is inspired by Zenos' allegory.
and if ye labor with your might with me ye shall have joy in the fruit (Jacob 5:71)
Notice the common elements with Alma 36: labor and joy in the fruit. Zenos' allegory in Jacob 5 repeats this phrase, "joy in the fruit", three times. As we know, the allegory is about Israel and their covenant relation with God, the Lord of the vineyard.

A summary of learning points from this post and the last:

  • Joy is used in the scriptures, both to describe a temporal and spiritual condition
  • When describing a spiritual condition, one is often filled with joy or the joy is full. The possible underlying Hebrew for both words has richer meaning than the English words and includes a sense of completeness and connects to ordinances and covenants.
  • The joy that fills you is typically joy "in God" or connected to the Spirit. Joy and Spirit are even used interchangeably at times.
  • Joy is also often associated with fruit/works, referring to missionary work or the gathering of Israel
In other words, if we want real joy and use the Book of Mormon as our guide, we lay aside temporal things and focus on entering into a covenant relationship with God that "completes" us and invites his Spirit into our lives. Then we labor to bring other souls into that same relationship.

Edit: How could I ignore Alma 29? It summarizes the learning points beautifully
13 Yea, and that same God did establish his church among them; yea, and that same God hath called me by a holy calling, to preach the word unto this people, and hath given me much success, in the which my joy is full.
14 But I do not joy in my own success alone, but my joy is more full because of the success of my brethren, who have been up to the land of Nephi.
15 Behold, they have labored exceedingly, and have brought forth much fruit; and how great shall be their reward!
16 Now, when I think of the success of these my brethren my soul is carried away, even to the separation of it from the body, as it were, so great is my joy.
A few notes from this scripture:

  • The difference between " my joy is full" and "my joy is more full" doesn't make much sense in English and hints at the underlying richer Hebrew meaning of the word, as discussed.
  • "Brought forth much fruit" is used again as metaphor for the gathering of Israel through missionary work and is only found in Alma 29 outside of Zenos' allegory, where the expression is repeated 3 times.
  • The "separation [...] from the body" illustrates the previous point made of a spiritual joy, not worldy/physical.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...