Friday, July 3, 2020

Joy

I have studied a bit about joy in the Book of Mormon. We are all familiar with the verse in 2 Nephi
men are, that they might have joy (2 Nephi 2:25)
Perhaps this statement by Lehi on the small plates, became familiar for later Book of Mormon prophets too? At least the word 'joy' appears in the Book of Mormon 121 times, more than any other book of scripture. Here are a couple of things I learned.

Fullness of joy / filled with joy


Joy is often describing a spiritual condition, something that is found in Christ and his gospel, rather than in the world. But Book of Mormon authors seem aware that there are different types of joy, but only one that "fills" you. In Helaman 5:44, we read
they were filled with that joy which is unspeakable and full of glory.
It is interesting to me that Mormon explains what kind of joy that filled them. The worldly joy is also used in the Book of Mormon, like the joy of the Lamanites in Alma 55:9 when they would receive more wine. But it distinguishes between that worldly joy on one hand and "that joy which is unspeakable and full of glory" on the other. Consider 3 Nephi 27:11
But if it be not built upon my gospel, and is built upon the works of men, or upon the works of the devil, verily I say unto you they have joy in their works for a season, and by and by the end cometh, and they are hewn down and cast into the fire, from whence there is no return. 
The joy that comes from the works of men is temporary and nothing that "fills" them. Later in that chapter, Jesus says that
my joy is great, even unto fulness (3 Nephi 27:30)
In the next chapter, Jesus gives a promise to his disciples
And for this cause ye shall have fulness of joy; and ye shall sit down in the kingdom of my Father; yea, your joy shall be full, even as the Father hath given me fulness of joy; and ye shall be even as I am, and I am even as the Father; and the Father and I are one (3 Nephi 28:10)
Another example
But, behold, the righteous, the saints of the Holy One of Israel, they who have believed in the Holy One of Israel, they who have endured the crosses of the world, and despised the shame of it, they shall inherit the kingdom of God, which was prepared for them from the foundation of the world, and their joy shall be full forever. (2 Nephi 9:18)
There are many other examples to support this observation: In the Book of Mormon, 'joy' can be used to describe temporal and spiritual happiness. But only the righteous are filled with joy. This filling can happen on earth and give them a taste of the lasting fullness of joy they can receive in the kingdom of God.

On that note, I will include a reminder that the Hebrew word for 'fill' can also be translated as complete, accomplish, endow, consecrate or ordain.

Joy and light/spirit


Joy is often connected with light and spirit, and a contrast to darkness and a wicked/evil spirit. Consider these examples
And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain! (Alma 36:20)
he knew that the dark veil of unbelief was being cast away from his mind, and the light which did light up his mind, which was the light of the glory of God, which was a marvelous light of his goodness—yea, this light had infused such joy into his soul, the cloud of darkness having been dispelled, and that the light of everlasting life was lit up in his soul (Alma 19:6)
And it came to pass that after Aaron had expounded these things unto him, the king said: What shall I do that I may have this eternal life of which thou hast spoken? Yea, what shall I do that I may be born of God, having this wicked spirit rooted out of my breast, and receive his Spirit, that I may be filled with joy, that I may not be cast off at the last day? Behold, said he, I will give up all that I possess, yea, I will forsake my kingdom, that I may receive this great joy. (Alma 22:15)
See how the Spirit and joy are used interchangeably in Alma 19:13-14
Now, when he had said these words, his heart was swollen within him, and he sunk again with joy; and the queen also sunk down, being overpowered by the Spirit.
14 Now Ammon seeing the Spirit of the Lord poured out according to his prayers upon the Lamanites, his brethren, who had been the cause of so much mourning among the Nephites, or among all the people of God because of their iniquities and their traditions, he fell upon his knees, and began to pour out his soul in prayer and thanksgiving to God for what he had done for his brethren; and he was also overpowered with joy
One final example from Mosiah 4:3
And it came to pass that after they had spoken these words the Spirit of the Lord came upon them, and they were filled with joy

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...