Wednesday, July 8, 2020

"Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true."

And this is not all. Do ye not suppose that I know of these things myself? Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true. And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety?      
-Alma 5:45

Alma-2 teaches many things in his sermon to the people at Zarahemla, found in Alma chapter 5.  In verses 43-51, Alma gives us a pretty succinct explanation why he knows the things he is teaching are true. In this same passage He describes Christ as "full of grace, and mercy, and truth."

I'd like to dive into these verses to outline a few things we can learn from this passage.

I noticed this passage in a new light as I recently studied the connections between mercy and grace. Verse 48 is one of four verses which reference both "grace" and "mercy." Each of these four verses occur in the context of covenants. I realize this is another topic of study which ultimately points to becoming one with God. (See this study on the connections between the Father and the Son for similar findings, part 1 and part 2.)

The grace of Jesus Christ is the only means of becoming one with God the Father. Covenants are the only way to fully access that grace. Covenants are made as we lay down our old ways (repentance) and take His name upon us. The ministry of angels is all about making these things known and available in our lives (not to mention calling us to assist in the work of angels in the process). This work is therefore a key component of God's mercy.  He sends angels (heavenly and earthly) to testify of these things in order to help His children come to know of these truths by the power of revelation through the Holy Spirit of God. Part of coming to know is developing a desire to join in the covenant and then keeping the commandment to declare the glad tidings.

What does this have to do with the witness given by Alma-2 in Alma 5:43-51? Let's look at the passage and I'll highlight the components described above:

43 And now, my brethren, I would that ye should hear me, for I speak in the energy of my soul; for behold, I have spoken unto you plainly that ye cannot err, or have spoken according to the commandments of God.
44 For I am called to speak after this manner, according to the holy order of God, which is in Christ Jesus; yea, I am commanded to stand and testify unto this people the things which have been spoken by our fathers concerning the things which are to come.
45 And this is not all. Do ye not suppose that I know of these things myself? Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true. And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety?
46 Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me.
47 And moreover, I say unto you that it has thus been revealed unto me, that the words which have been spoken by our fathers are true, even so according to the spirit of prophecy which is in me, which is also by the manifestation of the Spirit of God.
48 I say unto you, that I know of myself that whatsoever I shall say unto you, concerning that which is to come, is true; and I say unto you, that I know that Jesus Christ shall come, yea, the Son, the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace, and mercy, and truth. And behold, it is he that cometh to take away the sins of the world, yea, the sins of every man who steadfastly believeth on his name.
49 And now I say unto you that this is the order after which I am called, yea, to preach unto my beloved brethren, yea, and every one that dwelleth in the land; yea, to preach unto all, both old and young, both bond and free; yea, I say unto you the aged, and also the middle aged, and the rising generation; yea, to cry unto them that they must repent and be born again.
50 Yea, thus saith the Spirit: Repent, all ye ends of the earth, for the kingdom of heaven is soon at hand; yea, the Son of God cometh in his glory, in his might, majesty, power, and dominion. Yea, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, that the Spirit saith: Behold the glory of the King of all the earth; and also the King of heaven shall very soon shine forth among all the children of men.
51 And also the Spirit saith unto me, yea, crieth unto me with a mighty voice, saying: Go forth and say unto this peopleRepent, for except ye repent ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of heaven.

There is so much repetition here I am confident a pattern was intended, using principles of Hebrew rhetoric that I haven't been able to make sense of yet.  This much is clear -- these basic principles of the ministering of angels -- the preparatory gospel -- are very central to Alma's message here. This can be contrasted with Alma's next sermon in Gideon, where the people were already keeping their covenants, More about that in a future post.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...