Thursday, November 19, 2020

שָׁמַר -- shamar: to keep, watch, preserve, part 2

In my last post, I reviewed various words translated from "shamar" in the Old Testament.  In this post, we'll look at how those same terms are used in the Book of Mormon.

I'll post many examples below, but one example stood out to me as I undertook this study, from the words of King Benjamin to his sons:


5 I say unto you, my sons, were it not for these things, which have been kept and preserved by the hand of God, that we might read and understand of his mysteries, and have his commandments always before our eyes, that even our fathers would have dwindled in unbelief, and we should have been like unto our brethren, the Lamanites, who know nothing concerning these things, or even do not believe them when they are taught them, because of the traditions of their fathers, which are not correct.

6 O my sons, I would that ye should remember that these sayings are true, and also that these records are true. And behold, also the plates of Nephi, which contain the records and the sayings of our fathers from the time they left Jerusalem until now, and they are true; and we can know of their surety because we have them before our eyes.

7 And now, my sons, I would that ye should remember to search them diligently, that ye may profit thereby; and I would that ye should keep the commandments of God, that ye may prosper in the land according to the promises which the Lord made unto our fathers. (Mosiah 1)


I appreciate the balance in this passage:

  • The scriptures have been "kept and preserved by the hand of God"...
  • ...in order to allow the covenant people to have His commandments "before [their] eyes" (observe)...
  • ...so that they can "keep the commandments"...
  • ...in order to prosper (be preserved) in the land of promise.


In fact, the Book of Mormon proverb (alluded to in verse 7) demonstrates this balanced keeping/preservation between God and His covenant people.


"Shamar" in the Book of Mormon


The various words translated from "shamar" show up many times in the Book of Mormon.  Below is a sampling of a few of these. Notice the balance between the responsibilities of the covenant people and the blessings promised to the faithful by God:

  • Keep
    • 11 But I am like as yourselves, subject to all manner of infirmities in body and mind; yet I have been chosen by this people, and consecrated by my father, and was suffered by the hand of the Lord that I should be a ruler and a king over this people; and have been kept and preserved by his matchless power, to serve you with all the might, mind and strength which the Lord hath granted unto me. (Mosiah 2)
    • As ye have kept my commandments, and also the commandments of my father, and have prospered, and have been kept from falling into the hands of your enemies, even so if ye shall keep the commandments of my son, or the commandments of God which shall be delivered unto you by him, ye shall prosper in the land, and your enemies shall have no power over you. (Mosiah 2:31)
  • Beware
    • 32 But, O my people, beware lest there shall arise contentions among you, and ye list to obey the evil spirit, which was spoken of by my father Mosiah. (Mosiah 2)

    • 15 Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. (3 Nephi 14)

  • Take heed
    • 11 "...therefore, take heed that ye do not transgress, that the name be not blotted out of your hearts." (Mosiah 5) 
    • 14 Wherefore, take heed, my beloved brethren, that ye do not judge that which is evil to be of God, or that which is good and of God to be of the devil. (Moroni 7)
  • Observe
    • 6 "And now, this commandment they observe to keep; wherefore, because of this observance, in keeping this commandment, the Lord God will not destroy them, but will be merciful unto them..." (Jacob 3)
    • "6 And this shall ye always observe to do, even as I have done, even as I have broken bread and blessed it and given it unto you." (3 Nephi 18)
  • To mark
    • 14 "...Wherefore, because of their blindness, which blindness came by looking beyond the mark, they must needs fall..." (Jacob 4)
    • 16 And again: I will set a mark upon him that fighteth against thee and thy seed. (Alma 3)
  • Preserve
    • 17 "...he will preserve the righteous by his power..." (1 Nephi 17)
    • 3 "...I should preserve these plates and hand them down unto my seed, from generation to generation." (Jacob 1)
    • 11 "... I, Mormon, pray to God that they may be preserved from this time henceforth. And I know that they will be preserved; for there are great things written upon them, out of which my people and their brethren shall be judged at the great and last day..." (Words of Mormon 1)

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...