Wednesday, February 19, 2020

That time when (almost) everyone thought King Lamoni had died...or, how an entire nation turns to Christ -- Part 1

I could think of many apt titles for this post.  I went with the one above for good reason.  In this post, I'll take a deep dive into the story of the conversion of King Lamoni, which comes as a result of the missionary efforts of Ammon.  If you haven't yet read my two most recent posts (here and here), please take the time to read them before reading below.  The pattern provides a key to understanding more of this miraculous conversion story.

Here is the pattern:

  1. The person is in darkness, fear, or pain.
  2. divine messenger delivers (or has delivered) a message.
  3. The person prays/cries out ...
  4. ... for mercy.
  5. They come to know of Christ, the son of God (or a symbol of Christ) 
  6. They receive comfort and a remission of sins.
  7. The person experiences the fruits of the Spirit.

The conversion of King Lamoni


This story begins much like the examples in the two previous posts...the pattern is followed pretty much line for line.

#1: After the brave exploits of Ammon in protecting the king's flocks, King Lamoni begins to fear.


Alma 18:2 -- "...he was astonished exceedingly, and said: Surely, this is more than a man."

Alma 18:5 -- "Now this was the tradition of Lamoni, which he had received from his father, that there was a Great Spirit. Notwithstanding they believed in a Great Spirit, they supposed that whatsoever they did was right; nevertheless, Lamoni began to fear exceedingly, with fear lest he had done wrong in slaying his servants;"



#2: The divine messenger (Ammon) teaches him.



It is worth noting that prior to being taught, King Lamoni makes it clear how seriously he is taking this instruction:

20 And the king said: How knowest thou the thoughts of my heart? Thou mayest speak boldly, and tell me concerning these things; and also tell me by what power ye slew and smote off the arms of my brethren that scattered my flocks
21 And now, if thou wilt tell me concerning these things, whatsoever thou desirest I will give unto thee; and if it were needed, I would guard thee with my armies; but I know that thou art more powerful than all they; nevertheless, whatsoever thou desirest of me I will grant it unto thee. (Alma 18)
With this assurance, Ammon makes it clear to the king what he truly desires of him:

22 Now Ammon being wise, yet harmless, he said unto Lamoni: Wilt thou hearken unto my words, if I tell thee by what power I do these things? And this is the thing that I desire of thee.
23 And the king answered him, and said: Yea, I will believe all thy words. And thus he was caught with guile. (Alma 18)
This reminds me of the words of King Benjamin:

9 ...My brethren, all ye that have assembled yourselves together, you that can hear my words which I shall speak unto you this day; for I have not commanded you to come up hither to trifle with the words which I shall speak, but that you should hearken unto me, and open your ears that ye may hear, and your hearts that ye may understand, and your minds that the mysteries of God may be unfolded to your view. (Mosiah 2)
Our willingness to hearken to the word plays a major role in what portion of the word we receive.

What did Ammon teach King Lamoni?  The sermon is not recorded, but the topics are listed in Alma 18:36-39:

  • the creation of the world
  • the creation of Adam
  • all the things concerning the fall of man
  • the records and the holy scriptures of the people
  • all the journeyings of their fathers in the wilderness
  • all their sufferings with hunger and thirst, and their travail, and so forth
  • the rebellions of Laman and Lemuel, and the sons of Ishmael, yea, all their rebellions
  • all the records and scriptures from the time that Lehi left Jerusalem down to the present time
  • the plan of redemption
  • the coming of Christ
  • all the works of the Lord

#3/#4: True to the pattern, King Lamoni "began to cry unto the Lord"...for "mercy"

40 And it came to pass that after he had said all these things, and expounded them to the king, that the king believed all his words.
41 And
he began to cry unto the Lord, saying: O Lord, have mercy; according to thy abundant mercy which thou hast had upon the people of Nephi, have upon me, and my people. (Alma 18)

So far, the story of Lamoni's conversion follows the pattern perfectly, but at this point we get a unique variation which leads to the conversion of an entire kingdom. In the next post, we'll look at the rest of this pattern and see how it varies from the example cited in my last two posts, and what results. 

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...