Monday, February 17, 2020

Crying out to God for mercy (and finding it through Jesus Christ) -- Part 1

There is a pattern in the Book of Mormon that shows up repeatedly.  I'm not sure if the writers are intentionally referencing other writers, or not.  I'll show three examples in this post and then in the next post I'll show a few more passages that convince me this is a major Book of Mormon theme, one which can help us view Moroni's final exhortation in a new light.

Here is the basic outline of the pattern:


  1. The person is in darkness, fear, or pain.
  2. A divine messenger delivers (or has delivered) a message.
  3. The person prays/cries out ...
  4. ... for mercy.
  5. They come to know of Christ, the son of God (or a symbol of Christ) 
  6. They receive comfort and a remission of sins.
  7. The person experiences the fruits of the Spirit.


Example #1 -- Lehi's Journey to the Tree of Life


And after I had traveled for the space of many hours in darkness, I began to pray unto the Lord that he would have mercy on me, according to the multitude of his tender mercies.And it came to pass after I had prayed unto the Lord I beheld a large and spacious field.
10 And it came to pass that I beheld tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy.
11 And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen. (1 Nephi 8)
In this example, the divine messenger invites Lehi to follow him in 1 Nephi 8:5-6.


Example #2 -- The Effect of King Benjamin's Sermon


And now, it came to pass that when king Benjamin had made an end of speaking the words which had been delivered unto him by the angel of the Lord, that he cast his eyes round about on the multitude, and behold they had fallen to the earth, for the fear of the Lord had come upon them.
And they had viewed themselves in their own carnal state, even less than the dust of the earth. And they all cried aloud with one voice, saying: O have mercy, and apply the atoning blood of Christ that we may receive forgiveness of our sins, and our hearts may be purified; for we believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who created heaven and earth, and all things; who shall come down among the children of men.
And it came to pass that after they had spoken these words the Spirit of the Lord came upon them, and they were filled with joy, having received a remission of their sins, and having peace of conscience, because of the exceeding faith which they had in Jesus Christ who should come, according to the words which king Benjamin had spoken unto them. (Mosiah 4)





Example #3 -- Alma-2's miraculous conversion



16 And now, for three days and for three nights was I racked, even with the pains of a damned soul.
17 And it came to pass that as I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins, behold, remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.
18 Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.
19 And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.
20 And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!
21 Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy. (Alma 36)


ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...