Sunday, December 15, 2019

Similarities between Alma 7 and Alma 38 -- "I trust that I shall have joy over/in you"

Here is more evidence that the similarities we find in Alma 5-13 and Alma 36-42 are intentional and not coincidental.

In this post, I pointed out that the word "temperate" only shows up twice in the entire Book of Mormon -- once in Alma 7 and once in Alma 38.

There is another unique expression only found in these two chapters.

Doing a search for sentences in the Book of Mormon which contain both the word "trust" and the word "joy" yields two results:


And I trust, according to the Spirit of God which is in me, that I shall also have joy over you; nevertheless I do not desire that my joy over you should come by the cause of so much afflictions and sorrow which I have had for the brethren at Zarahemla, for behold, my joy cometh over them after wading through much affliction and sorrow. (Alma 7)



And now, my son, I trust that I shall have great joy in you, because of your steadiness and your faithfulness unto God; for as you have commenced in your youth to look to the Lord your God, even so I hope that you will continue in keeping his commandments; for blessed is he that endureth to the end. (Alma 38)

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...