Sunday, December 15, 2019

Jesus quoting the Old Testament in 3 Nephi 21

An overview of Old Testament quotes in 3 Nephi 20 was given here. We see the same thing happening in 3 Nephi 21. Jesus quoting liberally from various Old Testament passages while mixing in his own words, or the words of his Father, as he puts it. We see many of the same trends as in the previous chapter, even some of the same scriptures quoted again. 

Note for instance how he quotes Micah 5:8-14, then adds his own words and squeezes in another allusion to Deuteronomy 18:19 that was quoted in the previous chapter, before he jumps right back into Micah 5:15, where he had left off. It's a carefully crafted text.


3 Nephi 21
Bible
Reference
8 And when that day shall come, it shall come to pass that kings shall shut their mouths; for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider.
15 So shall he sprinkle many nations; the kings shall shut their mouths at him: for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider.
Isaiah 52:8
9 For in that day, for my sake shall the Father work a work, which shall be a great and a marvelous work among them; and there shall be among them those who will not believe it, although a man shall declare it unto them.
14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.
/
for I will work a work in your days, which ye will not believe, though it be told you.
Isaiah 29:14 / Habakkuk 1:5
10 But behold, the life of my servant shall be in my hand; therefore they shall not hurt him, although he shall be marred because of them. Yet I will heal him, for I will show unto them that my wisdom is greater than the cunning of the devil.


11 Therefore it shall come to pass that whosoever will not believe in my words, who am Jesus Christ, which the Father shall cause him to bring forth unto the Gentiles, and shall give unto him power that he shall bring them forth unto the Gentiles, (it shall be done even as Moses said) they shall be cut off from among my people who are of the covenant.
19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.
Deuteronomy 18:19
12 And my people who are a remnant of Jacob shall be among the Gentiles, yea, in the midst of them as a lion among the beasts of the forest, as a young lion among the flocks of sheep, who, if he go through both treadeth down and teareth in pieces, and none can deliver.
8 And the remnant of Jacob shall be among the Gentiles in the midst of many people as a lion among the beasts of the forest, as a young lion among the flocks of sheep: who, if he go through, both treadeth down, and teareth in pieces, and none can deliver.
Micah 5:8
13 Their hand shall be lifted up upon their adversaries, and all their enemies shall be cut off.
9 Thine hand shall be lifted up upon thine adversaries, and all thine enemies shall be cut off.
Micah 5:9
14 Yea, wo be unto the Gentiles except they repent; for it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Father, that I will cut off thy horses out of the midst of thee, and I will destroy thy chariots;
10 And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord, that I will cut off thy horses out of the midst of thee, and I will destroy thy chariots:
Micah 5:10
15 And I will cut off the cities of thy land, and throw down all thy strongholds;
11 And I will cut off the cities of thy land, and throw down all thy strong holds:
Micah 5:11
16 And I will cut off witchcrafts out of thy land, and thou shalt have no more soothsayers;
12 And I will cut off witchcrafts out of thine hand; and thou shalt have no more soothsayers:
Micah 5:12
17 Thy graven images I will also cut off, and thy standing images out of the midst of thee, and thou shalt no more worship the works of thy hands;
13 Thy graven images also will I cut off, and thy standing images out of the midst of thee; and thou shalt no more worship the work of thine hands.
Micah 5:13
18 And I will pluck up thy groves out of the midst of thee; so will I destroy thy cities.
14 And I will pluck up thy groves out of the midst of thee: so will I destroy thy cities.
Micah 5:14
19 And it shall come to pass that all lyings, and deceivings, and envyings, and strifes, and priestcrafts, and whoredoms, shall be done away.


20 For it shall come to pass, saith the Father, that at that day whosoever will not repent and come unto my Beloved Son, them will I cut off from among my people, O house of Israel;

See verse 11. Allusion to Moses and Deuteronomy
21 And I will execute vengeance and fury upon them, even as upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.
15 And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.
Micah 5:15
22 But if they will repent and hearken unto my words, and harden not their hearts, I will establish my church among them, and they shall come in unto the covenant and be numbered among this the remnant of Jacob, unto whom I have given this land for their inheritance;


23 And they shall assist my people, the remnant of Jacob, and also as many of the house of Israel as shall come, that they may build a city, which shall be called the New Jerusalem.


24 And then shall they assist my people that they may be gathered in, who are scattered upon all the face of the land, in unto the New Jerusalem.


25 And then shall the power of heaven come down among them; and I also will be in the midst.


26 And then shall the work of the Father commence at that day, even when this gospel shall be preached among the remnant of this people. Verily I say unto you, at that day shall the work of the Father commence among all the dispersed of my people, yea, even the tribes which have been lost, which the Father hath led away out of Jerusalem.

See verse 9. Allusions to Isaiah 29
27 Yea, the work shall commence among all the dispersed of my people, with the Father to prepare the way whereby they may come unto me, that they may call on the Father in my name.

28 Yea, and then shall the work commence, with the Father among all nations in preparing the way whereby his people may be gathered home to the land of their inheritance.

29 And they shall go out from all nations; and they shall not go out in haste, nor go by flight, for I will go before them, saith the Father, and I will be their rearward.
12 For ye shall not go out with haste, nor go by flight: for the Lord will go before you; and the God of Israel will be your rearward.
Isaiah 52:12


ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...