Thursday, February 3, 2022

Footstool

I've got multiple series of posts going on at the same time, but I haven't forgotten about them.  This post will open up another topic -- footstool. After this I'll get back to the "stretch forth thine hand" series and finish that, then, I'll return to Moses 7 from my most recent post.


Footstool


This word caught my attention as I studied the Book of Moses this week. Let's look at a few verses in restoration scripture which use this term:


Moses 6:9, 44


In the image of his own body, male and female, created he them, and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created and became living souls in the land upon the footstool of God. ...

44 The heavens he made; the earth is his footstool; and the foundation thereof is his. Behold, he laid it, an host of men hath he brought in upon the face thereof.



1 Nephi 17:38-40


38 And he leadeth away the righteous into precious lands, and the wicked he destroyeth, and curseth the land unto them for their sakes.

39 He ruleth high in the heavens, for it is his throne, and this earth is his footstool.

40 And he loveth those who will have him to be their God. Behold, he loved our fathers, and he covenanted with them, yea, even Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; and he remembered the covenants which he had made; wherefore, he did bring them out of the land of Egypt.



Abraham 2:6-8


But I, Abraham, and Lot, my brother’s son, prayed unto the Lord, and the Lord appeared unto me, and said unto me: Arise, and take Lot with thee; for I have purposed to take thee away out of Haran, and to make of thee a minister to bear my name in a strange land which I will give unto thy seed after thee for an everlasting possession, when they hearken to my voice.

For I am the Lord thy God; I dwell in heaven; the earth is my footstool; I stretch my hand over the sea, and it obeys my voice; I cause the wind and the fire to be my chariot; I say to the mountains—Depart hence—and behold, they are taken away by a whirlwind, in an instant, suddenly.

My name is Jehovah, and I know the end from the beginning; therefore my hand shall be over thee.


(We also see "footstool" used in Doctrine & Covenants 38:17 and 3 Nephi 12:35, but those instances don't add much to the context I'm specifically studying.)



What do we learn from these verses about the earth?


Do you notice the reference to Genesis 3:17 in 1 Nephi 17:38 above? The ground is cursed because Adam hearkened to Eve rather than God. Yet the experience in the wilderness would allow Adam and Eve to fulfill the first commandment He gave them (found in Genesis 1:28) -- to "be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it and have dominion over ... every living thing that moveth upon [it]."

A footstool symbolizes that which has been subdued. Putting an enemy under your feet indicates you've prevailed. One essential function of the priesthood is to bring order to the "waste places" and thereby gain victory over chaos and death. This is taught rather plainly in Doctrine & Covenants 103:7-11 --


And bhearkening to observe all the words which I, the Lord their God, shall speak unto them, they shall never cease to prevail until the kingdoms of the world are subdued under my feet, and the earth is given unto the saints, to possess it forever and ever.

But inasmuch as they keep not my commandments, and hearken not to observe all my words, the kingdoms of the world shall prevail against them.

For they were set to be a light unto the world, and to be the saviors of men;

10 And inasmuch as they are not the saviors of men, they are as salt that has lost its savor, and is thenceforth good for nothing but to be cast out and trodden under foot of men.

11 But verily I say unto you, I have decreed that your brethren which have been scattered shall return to the lands of their inheritances, and shall build up the waste places of Zion.


Covenant brings about this "build[ing] up" of "the waste places of Zion." Notice the contrasting fates of those who enter into the covenant -- they will either stay faithful and prevail, and possess the earth forever and ever, or they will reject the covenant and be defeated by the kingdoms of the world, leading them to be cast out and "trodden under foot of men."

I've got a little more to say on this topic, but I'll save it until after the two open series are concluded. Interestingly, the redemption of Zion (subduing the kingdoms of the earth) ties right back into the concept of the out-stretched hand:

15 Behold, I say unto you, the redemption of Zion must needs come by power;

16 Therefore, I will raise up unto my people a man, who shall lead them like as Moses led the children of Israel.

17 For ye are the children of Israel, and of the seed of Abraham, and ye must needs be led out of bondage by power, and with a stretched-out arm.

18 And as your fathers were led at the first, even so shall the redemption of Zion be. (Doctrine & Covenants 103)


The redemption of Zion happens through God's power, also known as the Priesthood.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...