Thursday, January 27, 2022

"Zion ... shall come forth out of all the creations which I have made"

This post will focus on the final section of Moses 7, verses 58-63, which contains beautiful and powerful promises and prophecies related to Enoch. Much of this will harmonize with other posts from this blog. My hope is to bring together several seemingly unrelated concepts to show how intimately connected they are. This will likely allow other passages to reveal deeper layers of meaning.  That's how this process works. :)

Furthermore, since we've been studying the early chapters of Genesis for Come Follow Me the past few weeks, I've also had the purpose of the creation on my mind. Readers of the blog will recall the connection between covenant and creation.  More and more I see covenant as the continuation of the physical creation -- the spiritual creative process made possible by the physical creation.

The title of the post perhaps states it best.  The earth was created in order to allow the celestial heirs of God to "prove themselves" and receive all that God has to give them. The final state of the earth is perfect rest -- total harmony with God's order (see this post) -- but until that day arrives there will be sadness and struggle.

In this post, I will walk through these verses and connect various elements which we've written about previously.


When Shall the Earth Rest?


This is the question on Enoch's mind after seeing Christ's death in vision and the subsequent mourning of "all the creations of God" (Moses 7:56).

There is a follow-up question in verse 59 which gives us an important clue about the connection between Christ's second coming and the earth's long-awaited rest:


59 And Enoch beheld the Son of Man ascend up unto the Father; and he called unto the Lord, saying: Wilt thou not come again upon the earth? Forasmuch as thou art God, and I know thee, and thou hast sworn unto me, and commanded me that I should ask in the name of thine Only Begotten; thou hast made me, and given unto me a right to thy throne, and not of myself, but through thine own grace; wherefore, I ask thee if thou wilt not come again on the earth. (Moses 7)


Enoch is not only asking when Christ will come again, he is also reminding God of His promises to mankind, and stating his understanding of man's divine inheritance through Christ's grace.

In response, God makes it abundantly clear to Enoch that all of His promises will be fulfilled:


60 And the Lord said unto Enoch: As I live, even so will I come in the last days, in the days of wickedness and vengeance, to fulfil the oath which I have made unto you concerning the children of Noah;


Interestingly, the answer that follows isn't a specific date and time, but rather a description of the conditions and events which will precede the second coming of Christ:


Conditions:

  • wickedness and vengeance (v. 60)
  • men's hearts failing them (v. 66)
  • the sea is troubled (v. 66)

 

Events:

  • gathering of the elect unto Zion (v. 62)
  • great tribulations among the wicked (v. 66)



Moses 7:62


To conclude, the Lord's promise to come again happens after a flood of a different type:


62 And righteousness will I send down out of heaven; and truth will I send forth out of the earth, to bear testimony of mine Only Begotten; his resurrection from the dead; yea, and also the resurrection of all men; and righteousness and truth will I cause to sweep the earth as with a flood ...



The purpose of this flood is very different, too.  Rather than destroying the wicked, this flood is sent to bring about the gathering:


...to gather out mine elect from the four quarters of the earth, unto a place which I shall prepare, an Holy City, that my people may gird up their loins, and be looking forth for the time of my coming; for there shall be my tabernacle, and it shall be called Zion, a New Jerusalem.


Just as the ark carried Noah and his family to safety, "righteousness and truth" in the form of the temple ordinances will carry those who are willing into safety, the Lord's rest, where they will avoid the chaos that awaits the wicked. The new Zion will meet Enoch's Zion as heaven and earth unite.


63 And the Lord said unto Enoch: Then shalt thou and all thy city meet them there, and we will receive them into our bosom, and they shall see us; and we will fall upon their necks, and they shall fall upon our necks, and we will kiss each other;

64 And there shall be mine abode, and it shall be Zion, which shall come forth out of all the creations which I have made; and for the space of a thousand years the earth shall rest.



The next post will continue on this same theme.  As I've researched these verses, I've come across a wealth of references related to phrases and words in these verses. I plan to share this "web" of references in the next post.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...