Thursday, October 28, 2021

"Sprinkle many nations" and "fulfilling the covenant"

In my last post, I closed with the suggestion that there is a type in story of the Israelites conquering the promised land by overpowering many nations. I suggested that in the latter days, a similar event would take place, only this time the army would be proclaiming the fulness of the Gospel.

This is a major theme in the words of Christ to the Nephites during His visit. Having connected the word "fulness" with the charge given to Adam and Eve to "replenish the earth" and the temple symbolism of the "grand feast" (see here), I noticed the frequent mention of phrases with similar meanings in the prophecies of the latter days from the Book of Mormon: many nations, all the earth, the fulness of the Gentiles, etc.

In a future post, I'll discuss these prophecies in more details, but I want to focus on one particular verse from Isaiah that is quoted by Christ during His visit to the Nephites:


45 So shall he sprinkle many nations; the kings shall shut their mouths at him, for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider. (3 Nephi 20)


Let's begin by taking a closer look at the Hebrew word for "sprinkle":


"Sprinkle" -- nazah: נָזָה "spurt, spatter"


This word shows up 24 times in the Old Testament, according to Biblehub. Let's take a closer look at how it is used and then try to make a determination as to what it means to "sprinkle many nations."

By far the most common use of the Hebrew word 'nazah' occurs in reference to the altar of sacrifice and veil of the temple and the blood of the sacrificial lamb (see Leviticus 8:11, 4:17, for example). Sacrificial blood and oil were sprinkled on the sacred vestments of Aaron and his sons to consecrate them (see Exodus 29:21). Water was sprinkled onto a person who had touched a dead body in a purification ritual (see Numbers 19:18).

In other words, this words shows up almost exclusively in connection with sacred rituals. That is very interesting.


"Sprinkle many nations" and the two ways

Like many covenant terms, I believe this curious phrase has two meanings. On the one hand, it is easy to interpret the meaning of "sprinkle" many nations as a threat of destruction for covenant rebellion, along the lines of "he will spatter many nations."

On the other hand, if we look back at how this word is used in the Old Testament, we can find a merciful promise in this phrase. What if to "sprinkle many nations" means to offer atonement for all the nations of the earth? What if part of the latter-day gathering involves offering the everlasting covenant to the entire human family in the form of temple ordinances?


Ezekiel 36


With that in mind, let's close this post with a beautiful example of how the word 'nazah' is used in a passage loaded with temple imagery to describe a future day when all who will hearken can be gathered as a covenant people and made clean. Consider the connections to Genesis 1:28 as you read:

23 And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the Lord, saith the Lord God, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes.

24 For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.

25 ¶ Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

28 And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.

29 I will also save you from all your uncleannesses: and I will call for the corn, and will increase it, and lay no famine upon you.

30 And I will multiply the fruit of the tree, and the increase of the field, that ye shall receive no more reproach of famine among the heathen.

...

35 And they shall say, This land that was desolate is become like the garden of Eden; and the waste and desolate and ruined cities are become fencedand are inhabited. (Ezekiel 36)

Verses 30 and 35 make the connection to Genesis 1:28 very obvious. I find it especially interesting the the meaning of the name Ephraim (the tribe through which the latter-day gathering is to begin) means "fruitful." We'll discuss this in more depth in upcoming posts.

This imagery is found in many places in scripture and is expounded in bold detail in the Book of Mormon. It is exciting to think that we live in the time when this promise is being fulfilled.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...