Thursday, August 26, 2021

A deeper look into the Words of Mormon -- Part 3

In part 1, I asked several questions in the introduction and have really only attempted to answer the last: Where exactly do the small plates end and the large plates start? Since this is complicated and speculative, I spent part 2 also dealing with that question. To answer the rest, we will have to rewind much more than only two centuries. We need to go back to the 4th century AD. I have already written a biographical sketch of Mormon, especially in relation to the Nephite records. (See this post). I will not repeat all that but instead try to get into more details on the process of adding the small plates of Nephi to his abridgment of the large plates of Nephi.

As pointed out in the linked post about Mormon and the Nephite records, it seems that Mormon abridged the large plates of Nephi late in life, at least for the most part, probably while he was in his seventies. The Nephites are almost extinct at that point, which is probably why he directs much of his more personal writings to his future readers rather than the Nephites. When Mormon is about half way through his abridgment, he discovers the small plates of Nephi. I can imagine this happening because this was at a point in Nephite history that becomes more complex and more writings are added. King Mosiah-I and his group fled the land and discovered Zarahemla. Some time later there was a group that went back to possess the land of their first inheritance. We know that there is a separate record of Zeniff from this time period and there were probably other records as well. While Mormon is searching among the records to get a better overview, he discovers the small plates of Nephi as commented in the beginning of the Words of Mormon.

Where did Mormon write this?

On which set of plates did Mormon engrave the words at the beginning of the Words of Mormon? There are different theories. The one I spent the most time on in parts 1 and 2 suggests that they were written on the small plates as an addendum by Mormon. It is also indicated in the text:

And now, I speak somewhat concerning that which I have written; for after I had made an abridgment from the plates of Nephi, down to the reign of this king Benjamin, of whom Amaleki spake, I searched among the records which had been delivered into my hands, and I found these plates, which contained this small account of the prophets, from Jacob down to the reign of this king Benjamin, and also many of the words of Nephi. And the things which are upon these plates pleasing me (WoM 1:3-4)

There may be other ways to interpret this, but I would think that "these plates", referencing the small plates of Nephi, indicates that Mormon is engraving his words on them. At the end of the Book of Omni, Amaleki speaks about the small plates of Nephi and says that they are full. If so, how could Mormon fit those additional words? Perhaps there was simply insufficient space to start a new book but just enough for that addendum by Mormon. Another possibility would be Mormon making and adding an extra page. Since Mormon made his own set of plates on which he engraved the abridgment of Nephite history, we know he was capable of it.

According to the alternative theory I presented in part 2, Mormon engraved those words on his plates with the abridgment of Nephite history. I don't think that theory matches the wording of the quoted passage ("...after I had made an abridgment...I found these plates").

When did Mormon write this?

From the quoted passage, it is clear that Mormon speaks about a past event: "after I had made an abridgment...down to the reign of king Benjamin". So when writing this, the abridgment at least to the point where king Benjamin enters the scene is a thing of the past. We still don't know if he has finished the whole abridgment. But there are bits and pieces of information we can put together.

At some point during this period, Mormon and Moroni are fighting at different fronts against the Lamanites. Mormon writes an epistle the Moroni later decided to include in what is now Moroni 9. In verse 24, he writes
I trust that I may see thee soon; for I have sacred records that I would deliver up unto thee.

It seems to me that Mormon is done with the abridgment at this point. It is probably one of the records he wants to "deliver up". Based on the wording, I conclude that this letter was written before the first half of the Words of Mormon

And now I, Mormon, being about to deliver up the record which I have been making into the hands of my son Moroni, behold I have witnessed almost all the destruction of my people, the Nephites. (WoM 1:1)

As Mormon is making his addendum to the small plates, he has been reunited with his son, Moroni. "I have witnessed almost all the destruction" indicates that they are likely preparing for the last battle at Cumorah where all remaining Nephites gathered. At this point, Mormon has finished his abridgment of the Nephite history until the end of 4 Nephi. Verse 9 in the Words of Mormon may then seem confusing, but it makes much sense in context

And now I, Mormon, proceed to finish out my record, which I take from the plates of Nephi; (WoM 1:9)

Does this mean that Mormon has not completed the abridgment after all? No, it means that he has not finished his own record, the Book of Mormon (within the Book of Mormon). This book is also an abridgment from a fuller account on the large plates of Nephi. I believe at this point he has finished what is now chapter 5 and possibly written some of chapter 6. Compare WoM 1:9 with Mormon 6:1

And now I finish my record concerning the destruction of my people, the Nephites.

Mormon 6 is about the final battle on Cumorah. Mormon writes it along with an invitation to his future readers in chapter 7 before Moroni finally takes over. Here is a simple timeline

  • After a long life filled with warfare, Mormon makes a set of plates and starts engraving an abridgment of the large plates of Nephi
  • Half-way through, he discovers the small plates of Nephi
  • Being almost done with his writings (ca Mormon 5), he sends an epistle to his son saying that he has records to give him and hope they can meet soon. Most likely they are fighting battles on different fronts
  • At the final gathering at Cumorah, he is reunited with his son, Moroni. He adds a few words to the small plates of Nephi (Words of Mormon) explaining how he found them and why he is including them. 
  • He fights the final battle at Cumorah and engraves chapters 6 and 7 of the Book of Mormon after the event, before his son Moroni takes possession of the plates and Mormon is killed.

Were the small plates of Nephi physically attached to the large?

This is a very difficult question to answer but I am inclined to answer no. There is a major inplication, however: If the small plates were not attached to Mormon's plates, the probably also were not dug up by Joseph Smith in the hill Cumorah! All the witnesses describe a set of plates bound in a D-shaped ring. If there was an additional set of plates, not physically attached to the rest, the witnesses would surely have noticed and said something about it. They gave other details like the approximate weight and size and more than half being sealed. 

I also find it unlikely that Mormon physically bound the small plates of Nephi together with the rest. First of all, Mormon had already made his plates when he discovered the small plates of Nephi. It is therefore unlikely that they were the exact same size. If not the same size, they would look weird bound together. Notice also the wording: 
But behold, I shall take these plates, which contain these prophesyings and revelations, and put them with the remainder of my record (WoM 1:6)

Mormon puts the small plates together with his plates. What does he mean by that? The same wording is used a few verses later

Wherefore, it came to pass that after Amaleki had delivered up these plates into the hands of king Benjamin, he took them and put them with the other plates (WoM 1:10)

We know that king Benjamin did not physically attach the small plates to the large ones. Otherwise Mormon would have known about them instead of discovering them later when searching through the various records. So Mormon is apparently using the terms in a sense comparable to stacking two books on top of each other and carrying them together. 

But if Joseph Smith did not dig up the small plates of Nephi in Cumorah, how did he get them? This is something I got from an online discussion involving Don Bradley, who has also come to believe that the small plates of Nephi was a separate set. Consider this verse in the D&C

And then, behold, other records have I, that I will give unto you power that you may assist to translate. (D&C 9:2)

These are the Lord's words through Joseph Smith to Oliver Cowdery. If not the small plates of Nephi, what records is this verse referring to? Could it be that Joseph Smith at some point between the loss of the 116+ pages and Oliver's arrival in Pennsylvania was visited by the angel Moroni to receive the small plates of Nephi? The problem with this theory is that there is no historical record of such an event. Joseph did not include it in his history. But I am sure he did not record every interaction with heavenly beings, of which there were many. It is also difficult to find a better competing theory for reasons already laid out here, so for now I am inclined to believe that the small plates were a separate set, Joseph only dug up the plates of Mormon (the abridgment of the large plates of Nephi) in Cumorah, and received the small plates of Nephi at some point later.

That concludes my long, entangled dissection of the small, mysterious book called the Words of Mormon. At least I learned quite a bit from my recent studies of this topic and have a better overview of what I at least think happened.

 


ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...