Friday, May 7, 2021

The power of the name -- Part 1

There are multiple posts on this blog (too many to link) discussing the power of "the word". It is clear from the scriptures that the word is much more than a string of letters. It is the means of creation and salvation. It is quick and powerful and sharper than a double edged sword. It is sometimes equated with Christ.

I have noticed something similar about "the name". In many ancient cultures, including Israel, your name was not just something that people could say to have you respond. It was connected to your character and it was always a word with a specific meaning in that language (like some English names  today, like Faith, Charity, Joy). Your name was more important in many respects than what is the case today in the Western world. 

The name, Jesus Christ, also has specific meaning. Jesus comes from the Hebrew, Yeshua, and is the same name as the one transliterated as Joshua. As a side note, the fact that this was the name of the successor of Moses is interesting in the context of Jesus as the second Moses. Christ is the anglicized form of the Greek, chrīstós, which in turn is the translation of the Hebrew, Messiah. It means "anointed one" and refers to the tradition of anointing kings. He is the anointed one, the king, who brings salvation to mankind. 

But when it comes to the name of Christ, I think there is even more to it than its literal meaning. The name of Christ is the only name under heaven whereby man can be saved. The scriptures frequently admonish to believe in his name, rather than just believe in Him. We are asked to take upon us his name. Miracles and ordinances have been and are performed in his name. There is great power in the name.

One particular aspect I found as I studied this, is how the name is the means to bind us to him. Through the name we become his sons and daughters or his sheep, and are granted a place at his right hand. This is taught very clearly in the Book of Mormon. I will give several examples below

18 Yea, blessed is this people who are willing to bear my name; for in my name shall they be called; and they are mine.
19 And because thou hast inquired of me concerning the transgressor, thou art blessed.
20 Thou art my servant; and I covenant with thee that thou shalt have eternal life; and thou shalt serve me and go forth in my name, and shalt gather together my sheep.
21 And he that will hear my voice shall be my sheep; and him shall ye receive into the church, and him will I also receive.
22 For behold, this is my church; whosoever is baptized shall be baptized unto repentance. And whomsoever ye receive shall believe in my name; and him will I freely forgive.
23 For it is I that taketh upon me the sins of the world; for it is I that hath created them; and it is I that granteth unto him that believeth unto the end a place at my right hand.
24 For behold, in my name are they called; and if they know me they shall come forth, and shall have a place eternally at my right hand. (Mosiah 26)
And as many as have received me, to them have I given to become the sons of God; and even so will I to as many as shall believe on my name, for behold, by me redemption cometh, and in me is the law of Moses fulfilled. (3 Nephi 9:17)
And after that he came men also were saved by faith in his name; and by faith, they become the sons of God. And as surely as Christ liveth he spake these words unto our fathers, saying: Whatsoever thing ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is good, in faith believing that ye shall receive, behold, it shall be done unto you. (Moroni 7:26)
And blessed is he that is found faithful unto my name at the last day, for he shall be lifted up to dwell in the kingdom prepared for him from the foundation of the world. And behold it is I that hath spoken it. Amen. (Ether 4:19)
Have they not read the scriptures, which say ye must take upon you the name of Christ, which is my name? For by this name shall ye be called at the last day;
And whoso taketh upon him my name, and endureth to the end, the same shall be saved at the last day. (3 Nephi 27)

There are numerous examples like this. When we bear his name, believe in his name, have faith in his name and are faithful unto his name, we are his, we are his sheep, we become his sons and daughters, we have a place at his right hand and are lifted up to dwell in his kingdom. Here are a couple of examples from other standard works:

I am Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who was crucified for the sins of the world, even as many as will believe on my name, that they may become the sons of God, even one in me as I am one in the Father, as the Father is one in me, that we may be one. (D&C 35:2)
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of Godeven to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. (John 1)

Ancient Israelites used patronymic names, which means that they were identified by their personal name and who was their father. For instance, we have "John the son of Zacharias" (Luke 3:2), "David the son of Jesse" (2 Chronicles 23:1) and "Manasseh the son of Joseph" (Joshua 17:2). So did the Nephites: "Amaleki, the son of Abinadom." (Omni 1:12), "Nephi the son of Helaman" (Helaman 7:1), "Ammon the son of Mosiah" (Alma 48:18), etc.

From their perspective, it is therefore natural that taking upon us the name of Christ means that we become his sons and daughters. We are born of him and even become one with him. Imagine being called <first name> the son/daughter of Christ! This is something King Benjamin wants for his people and this concept is detailed in the early chapters of Mosiah more than anywhere else in the scriptures. We will spend the next post going through that. But I will close this with a final example from Moses 6. In verse 52, God speaks to Adam

And he also said unto him: If thou wilt turn unto me, and hearken unto my voice, and believe, and repent of all thy transgressions, and be baptized, even in water, in the name of mine Only Begotten Son, who is full of grace and truth, which is Jesus Christ, the only name which shall be given under heaven, whereby salvation shall come unto the children of men, ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, asking all things in his name, and whatsoever ye shall ask, it shall be given you.

In verses 59-60, God goes on to describe this spiritual rebirth, after which Adam is baptized. When he comes out of the water, God speaks to him again

Behold, thou art one in me, a son of God; and thus may all become my sons

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...