Sunday, November 29, 2020

Achaz (אָחַז): to grasp, take hold, take possession -- part 1

One way I use to discover meanings and make new connections in the scriptures involves studying Hebrew root words and thinking about how their various meanings relate to Book of Mormon passages. I've come to learn that the Book of Mormon makes more sense in many cases when studied through the lens of the ancient Semitic worldview.

My most recent topic of study is the Hebrew root 'achaz' meaning 'to grasp, take hold, or take possession.'

We encounter this root in many different contexts throughout the Old Testament ('achaz' appears in some form 68 times).  Here is a sampling (the words translated from 'achaz' are in bold italics):


13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son. (Genesis 22)


26 And after that came his brother out, and his hand took hold on Esau’s heel; and his name was called Jacob: and Isaac was threescore years old when she bare them. (Genesis 25)


27 ¶ And Israel dwelt in the land of Egypt, in the country of Goshen; and they had possessions therein, and grew, and multiplied exceedingly. (Genesis 47)


And the Lord said unto him, What is that in thine hand? And he said, A rod. And he said, Cast it on the ground. And he cast it on the ground, and it became a serpent; and Moses fled from before it. And the Lord said unto Moses, Put forth thine hand, and take it by the tail. And he put forth his hand, and caught it, and it became a rod in his hand: That they may believe that the Lord God of their fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath appeared unto thee. (Exodus 4)


The righteous also shall hold on his way, and he that hath clean hands shall be stronger and stronger. (Job 17)


11 My foot hath held his steps, his way have I kept, and not declined. (Job 23)


22 So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee. 23 Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand. 24 Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. (Psalm 73)


10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. (Psalm 139)


And they shall be afraid: pangs and sorrows shall take hold of them; they shall be in pain as a woman that travaileth: (Isaiah 13)


14 The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings? (Isaiah 33)

I'm especially intrigued by several examples on this list.  The account in Exodus 4 where Moses is commanded to take the serpent by the tail and it become a rod in his hand is noteworthy.  It is also very intriguing that Jacob was born while holding his brother's heel. More to come on these grand topics in future posts.


Hopefully this set of examples helps you see the broad range of uses 'achaz' has in the Old Testament.  I created the following list to help me in my search for related terms in the Book of Mormon:

  • grasp
  • take hold
  • possess/take possession
  • hold
  • seize
I'm sure I'll find additional terms that fit this same pattern as I search. In part 2, we'll look at the passages I find in the Book of Mormon, and focus on patterns related to the duality of covenant-keeping or covenant rebellion.  In other words, we must hold fast to the word of God lest the devil grasp us with his awful chains.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...