Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Scattering/gathering taught through shepherd symbolism

In my recent posts, I have shown examples of tree and shepherd symbolism used together. In these symbols we find Christ, the gathering of Israel and temple covenants. I have studied and written much about tree symbolism before but not really shepherd/sheep/flock symbolism. It is well-known that Christ is the good shepherd and those who hearken to his voice are his sheep. But for some reason I have not really thought much about this as a symbol for the scattering/gathering of Israel before. Now that I study with this in mind, I see it everywhere.

The symbolism is very fitting. A shepherd cares for his flock, calls on his sheep who recognize his voice and provides them with safety and good pasture. The gathering of Israel is all about coming to Christ and entering into covenants with him. In return we get spiritual protection, rest and nourishment. One example to illustrate this is Ezekiel 34.

Ezekiel 34:11-13

11 For thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I, even I, will both search my sheep, and seek them out.

12 As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out my sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day.

13 And I will bring them out from the people, and gather them from the countries, and will bring them to their own land, and feed them upon the mountains of Israel by the rivers, and in all the inhabited places of the country.

14 I will feed them in a good pasture, and upon the high mountains of Israel shall their fold be: there shall they lie in a good fold, and in a fat pasture shall they feed upon the mountains of Israel.
Another interesting one from the Book of Mormon is found in Helaman 7:18-19
18 It is because you have hardened your hearts; yea, ye will not hearken unto the voice of the good shepherd; yea, ye have provoked him to anger against you.
19 And behold, instead of gathering you, except ye will repent, behold, he shall scatter you forth that ye shall become meat for dogs and wild beasts.
Notice that verse 18 is a reference to Psalm 95.

7 For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. To day if ye will hear his voice,

8 Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness:

9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work.

10 Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways:

11 Unto whom I sware in my wrath that they should not enter into my rest.
Psalm 95 uses the "enter into his rest" term that was discussed in a series of posts a while back. I didn't really notice the sheep symbolism in Psalm 95 at the time, but it is interesting to note that Nephi-2 hints to this Psalm when talking about scattering and gathering. The gathering in a shepherd/sheep setting is coming to the pasture. This is synonymous with the "rest" or promised land that the Israelites would come to after wandering around in the wilderness, and the "mountains of Israel" in the Ezekiel quote.

The temple connection of "enter into his rest" is discussed in this post. And thus we see (to borrow from Mormon) the recurring theme of the gathering of Israel as we come unto Christ through covenants, often taught through symbolism.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...