Tuesday, April 14, 2020

The "Hand" of God

One thing I've heard from Biblical Hebrew scholars is that the original Hebrew words often lose much of their richness when translated to other languages. I wish I knew ancient Hebrew better. Thankfully, I've found some online resources to help tease out some of the deeper meaning in the Old Testament. Even with my very limited knowledge, I can see how this is true.

There is a related aspect to this loss of richness -- it seems many of the temple-related symbols that are deeply embedded in the Hebrew language do not clearly translate into other languages.  Even if the surface-layer of meaning is preserved, the deeper meaning is lost in translation.


"Right Hand"


One such example is  יָמִין -- "yamin" right hand.

The Jewish Virtual Library explains the symbolism associated with this word:

It is clear from several biblical verses that "right [hand]" was often a symbol for strength. The "right hand of God" was that which overcame Israel's enemies (Ex. 15:6, 12; Isa. 62:8; Ps. 17:7; 44:4, etc.) and which was worthy of the Psalmists' praises (Ps. 98:1; 118:15, 16, etc.). (Source)

In some translations of the Bible, "power" is used, while in others we read "right hand" but the truth is a little bit deeper, reflected in the symbolism of the temple -- God's power comes as the covenant people keep their promises.

Isaiah uses this term about a dozen times in his writings, in various contexts, including this passage which uses the term twice:


10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
11 Behold, all they that were incensed against thee shall be ashamed and confounded: they shall be as nothing; and they that strive with thee shall perish.
12 Thou shalt seek them, and shalt not find them, even them that contended with thee: they that war against thee shall be as nothing, and as a thing of nought.
13 For I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. (Isaiah 41)


Hand


More generally, the hand has symbolic importance, too. One Bible scholar puts it this way:

"Hand" most frequently represents the ownership, power, or control that its possessor (either an individual or a people) exercises. ... The hand can represent the whole person, symbolizing the achievement of what is promised with the mouth ( 1 Kings 8:15 1 Kings 8:24 ). The hand's raised position can be used in blessing (pl. in Lev 9:22 ), in making an oath before God ( Gen 14:22 ), or in God's making an oath ( Num 14:30 ; right hand in Isa 62:8 ). (Source)

It makes sense, then, that the hand is both God's power to protect us according to the covenants we make and a symbol of our actions (which can be compared with the words of our mouths). Notice how Alma-2 uses the symbol of "hands" in various ways (along with mentions of "power") in his sermon at Zarahemla:

4 And behold, I say unto you, they were delivered out of the hands of the people of king Noah, by the mercy and power of God.
5 And behold, after that, they were brought into bondage by the hands of the Lamanites in the wilderness; yea, I say unto you, they were in captivity, and again the Lord did deliver them out of bondage by the power of his word; and we were brought into this land, and here we began to establish the church of God throughout this land also. ...
19 I say unto you, can ye look up to God at that day with a pure heart and clean hands? I say unto you, can you look up, having the image of God engraven upon your countenances? ...
57 And now I say unto you, all you that are desirous to follow the voice of the good shepherd, come ye out from the wicked, and be ye separate, and touch not their unclean things; and behold, their names shall be blotted out, that the names of the wicked shall not be numbered among the names of the righteous, that the word of God may be fulfilled, which saith: The names of the wicked shall not be mingled with the names of my people;
58 For the names of the righteous shall be written in the book of life, and unto them will I grant an inheritance at my right hand. And now, my brethren, what have ye to say against this? I say unto you, if ye speak against it, it matters not, for the word of God must be fulfilled. (Alma 5)


Summary


The biggest takeaway message for me is that "hand" and "right hand" are symbols associated with the covenant between God and man.  He promises to fulfill his words by the power of His hand when we obey His commandments, and we show our obedience to Him by aligning the actions of our hands and the words of our mouths.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...