Monday, April 6, 2020

Psalms in the Book of Mormon, Mosiah - Alma 7

Note that several examples of Psalm-language in the Book of Alma have already been referenced in the earlier posts in this series.  It is clear to me that as a keeper of the Nephite records, Alma studied the small plates and when he made reference to the Psalms, he made sure to quote those passages that had already been quoted by Nephi and Jacob.  That's a remarkable detail and I'll dedicate an entire post to in the near future.

In this post, we'll review the next batch of examples of Psalm-language, from Mosiah through the first half of Alma.


Put my trust ... deliver


1 O Lord my God, in thee do I put my trust: save me from all them that persecute me, and deliver me: (Psalm 7)


20 O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee. (Psalm 25)


1 In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness. (Psalm 31)
See also 1 Chronicles 5:20; Isaiah 57:13; Jeremiah 39:18.


33 But if ye will turn to the Lord with full purpose of heart, and put your trust in him, and serve him with all diligence of mind, if ye do this, he will, according to his own will and pleasure, deliver you out of bondage. (Mosiah 7)

See also Mosiah 29:20, Alma 36:27; 38:5; 61:13.

Son/s ... this day ... begotten you



7 I will declare the decree: the Lord hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. (Psalm 2)


7 And now, because of the covenant which ye have made ye shall be called the children of Christ, his sons, and his daughters; for behold, this day he hath spiritually begotten you; for ye say that your hearts are changed through faith on his name; therefore, ye are born of him and have become his sons and his daughters. (Mosiah 5)


At the right hand of God


1 The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool. (Psalm 110)

9 And it shall come to pass that whosoever doeth this shall be found at the right hand of God, for he shall know the name by which he is called; for he shall be called by the name of Christ. (Mosiah 5)

Break ... bands ... death


14 He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and brake their bands in sunder. (Psalm 107)


8 And thus God breaketh the bands of death, having gained the victory over death; giving the Son power to make intercession for the children of men (Mosiah 15)

King of all the earth


7 For God is the King of all the earth: sing ye praises with understanding. (Psalm 47)

50 Yea, thus saith the Spirit: Repent, all ye ends of the earth, for the kingdom of heaven is soon at hand; yea, the Son of God cometh in his glory, in his might, majesty, power, and dominion. Yea, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, that the Spirit saith: Behold the glory of the King of all the earth; and also the King of heaven shall very soon shine forth among all the children of men. (Alma 5)

From this time forth and forever


2 Blessed be the name of the Lord from this time forth and for evermore. (Psalm 113)

See also Psalm 115:18; 121:8.

27 And now, may the peace of God rest upon you, and upon your houses and lands, and upon your flocks and herds, and all that you possess, your women and your children, according to your faith and good works, from this time forth and forever. And thus I have spoken. Amen. (Alma 7)

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...