Thursday, April 9, 2020

A closer look at possible "Psalm-language" in Alma 60:34

I've been taking a detailed look at the use of Psalm-language in the Book of Mormon. I've learned interesting things in the process.

In this post, we'll look at the curious example of Psalm 119 and Alma 60:34.  It isn't entirely clear whether or not this is a coincidence or intentional. In studying both passages, I've come to a firm conclusion.  I'll see if I can convince you to see it my way.

Here is a side-by-side comparison:

115 Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God. (Psalm 119)

34 And now behold, I, Moroni, am constrained, according to the covenant which I have made to keep the commandments of my God; therefore I would that ye should adhere to the word of God, and send speedily unto me of your provisions and of your men, and also to Helaman. (Alma 60)

On the one hand you have a 6 word phrase that matches word for word.  On the other hand, the three most unique words in that phrase are "keep," "commandments," and "God."  Those are pretty common, and they naturally fit together. My first instinct was to dismiss this as a coincidence.

My opinion shifted when I looked at both verses in broader context.  I knew the context of Alma 60 already -- Moroni is writing an angry letter to Pahoran, accusing him of negligence and treason, and threatening to march his army to Zarahemla and take provisions by force unless Pahoran sends relief.

Psalm 119 is pretty unfamiliar to me, but as I looked at the context, I found a few interesting connections. Below is a side-by-side comparison of both passages, with some color coding to highlight what I believe are similar themes:


Psalm 119                                 Alma 60


113 I hate vain thoughts: but thy law do I love.29 Behold it is time, yea, the time is now at hand, that except ye do bestir yourselves in the defence of your country and your little ones, the sword of justice doth hang over you; yea, and it shall fall upon you and visit you even to your utter destruction.
114 Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word.30 Behold, I wait for assistance from you; and, except ye do administer unto our relief, behold, I come unto you, even in the land of Zarahemla, and smite you with the sword, insomuch that ye can have no more power to impede the progress of this people in the cause of our freedom.
115 Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God.31 For behold, the Lord will not suffer that ye shall live and wax strong in your iniquities to destroy his righteous people.
116 Uphold me according unto thy word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope.32 Behold, can you suppose that the Lord will spare you and come out in judgment against the Lamanites, when it is the tradition of their fathers that has caused their hatred, yea, and it has been redoubled by those who have dissented from us, while your iniquity is for the cause of your love of glory and the vain things of the world?
117 Hold thou me up, and I shall be safe: and I will have respect unto thy statutes continually.33 Ye know that ye do transgress the laws of God, and ye do know that ye do trample them under your feet. Behold, the Lord saith unto me: If those whom ye have appointed your governors do not repent of their sins and iniquities, ye shall go up to battle against them.
118 Thou hast trodden down all them that err from thy statutes: for their deceit is falsehood.34 And now behold, I, Moroni, am constrained, according to the covenant which I have made to keep the commandments of my God; therefore I would that ye should adhere to the word of God, and send speedily unto me of your provisions and of your men, and also to Helaman.
119 Thou puttest away all the wicked of the earth like dross: therefore I love thy testimonies.35 And behold, if ye will not do this I come unto you speedily; for behold, God will not suffer that we should perish with hunger; therefore he will give unto us of your food, even if it must be by the sword. Now see that ye fulfil the word of God.
120 My flesh trembleth for fear of thee; and I am afraid of thy judgments.

From this side-by-side comparison, I see multiple poetic allusions to the same section of Psalm 119 with the 6-word phrase. A condemnation of vanity. An ominous reminder of the justice/judgements of God against the wicked. Moroni accuses Pahroan of "trampling" the laws of God and suggests he'll be trodden down by God as a result. Mormon hopes in God's word and twice reminds Pahoran to "adhere to" and "fulfil" the word of God.


Pahoran's Response



The details above are enough to convince me this was intentional. Reading Pahoran's measured response to Moroni's fire and brimstone makes it even clearer:

12 We would subject ourselves to the yoke of bondage if it were requisite with the justice of God, or if he should command us so to do.
13 But behold he doth not command us that we shall subject ourselves to our enemies, but that we should put our trust in him, and he will deliver us. (Alma 61)

Compare to three Psalms:


1 O Lord my God, in thee do I put my trust: save me from all them that persecute me, and deliver me: (Psalm 7)

20 O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee. (Psalm 25)

1 In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness. (Psalm 31)

Conclusion



Is this intentional?  In my mind, there is no doubt that both Moroni's accusation and Pahoran's meek reply contain clear references to the Psalms.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...