Thursday, March 26, 2020

"Unshaken"

Reading Enos 1:11, I noticed the word, "unshaken"
And after I, Enos, had heard these words, my faith began to be unshaken in the Lord
I remember having read this before in Jacob somewhere, so I looked it up. I have written about Jacob's personality previously, showing some expressions typical for him. This is one that I missed but "shaken/unshaken" in the context of firm in the faith is used once by Nephi, once by Enos (in the quote above), once by Mormon and five times by Jacob. I don't know how much Enos' use of this expression is related to this statement in Enos 1:1,
Behold, it came to pass that I, Enos, knowing my father that he was a just man—for he taught me in his language, and also in the nurture and admonition of the Lord—and blessed be the name of my God for it
but I find the following connection interesting: Jacob 4:6
Wherefore, we search the prophets, and we have many revelations and the spirit of prophecy; and having all these witnesses we obtain a hope, and our faith becometh unshaken, insomuch that we truly can command in the name of Jesus
and the encounter with Sherem in Jacob 7:5
And he had hope to shake me from the faith, notwithstanding the many revelations and the many things which I had seen concerning these things; for I truly had seen angels, and they had ministered unto me. And also, I had heard the voice of the Lord speaking unto me in very word, from time to time; wherefore, I could not be shaken.
What happens next is that Jacob commands in the name of the Lord (Jacob 7:14-15) and Sherem is struck.

It is completely natural that certain words and expressions are recurring in a long text such as the Book of Mormon. But I don't think connections like this example are arbitrary (like rare/unique expressions and multiple connections in the same verse pairs). Jacob says in one of the quoted chapters that "we labor diligently to engraven these words upon plates" (Jacob 4:3). In my recent studies I have found that the Book of Mormon text, down to pretty much every single word, is deliberate and not left to chance. If we study as diligently as they engraved their words, I think there are numerous possibilities to detect these connections and learn from them. 

Recognizing this presumably intended connection between these two passages, what can we learn from it? One technique I think Jacob is using is simply emphasizing a principle by repetition: If we seek and obtain revelation, our faith becomes unshaken. A great way to teach this principle is by first stating the doctrine (Jacob 4) and then giving a real life example of its application (Jacob 7). 

Another interesting detail is the different uses of the word, "hope", in these two verses. In Jacob 4, the "many revelations" lead to hope, which in turn leads to unshaken faith. In Jacob 7, Sherem had hope that he could shake Jacob's faith despite his "many revelations". That is a very different kind of hope. Jacob makes it very clear what kind of hope prevails in the end.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...