Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Quotations in King Benjamin's Sermon

Here is an interesting detail I didn't realize until I studied this chapter in preparation for this post -- King Benjamin's sermon contains a very long passage of words that he was commanded to speak by the angel.  Almost all of Mosiah 3 is actually Benjamin quoting the words given to him by the angel. 


3 And he said unto me: Awake, and hear the words which I shall tell thee; for behold, I am come to declare unto you the glad tidings of great joy. (Mosiah 3)

From verse 3 all the way to verse 22, Benjamin quotes the angel directly.

23 And now I have spoken the words which the Lord God hath commanded me.

But he isn't actually done. 

24 And thus saith the Lord: They shall stand as a bright testimony against this people ...

 This second quotation goes on until the end of the chapter:

27 ...Thus hath the Lord commanded me. Amen.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...