Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Psalms in the Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 1-4

I'm continuing to look at Psalms in the Book of Mormon. Today we'll look at Psalms-related language in 2 Nephi.  There are so many examples that we'll break 2 Nephi up into a few parts.


Broken Heart and Contrite Spirit



18 The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. (Psalm 34)


7 Behold, he offereth himself a sacrifice for sin, to answer the ends of the law, unto all those who have a broken heart and a contrite spirit; and unto none else can the ends of the law be answered. (2 Nephi 2)

See also 3 Nephi 9:20, 3 Nephi 12:19, Mormon 2:14, Ether 4:15, and Moroni 6:2.


Goodness of the Lord



13 I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. (Psalm 27)


5 He loveth righteousness and judgment: the earth is full of the goodness of the Lord. (Psalm 33)

17 Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth: O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities. (2 Nephi 4)

See also Jeremiah 31:14.


Upon the Wings of...




10 And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly: yea, he did fly upon the wings of the wind. (Psalm 18)


3 Who layeth the beams of his chambers in the waters: who maketh the clouds his chariot: who walketh upon the wings of the wind: (Psalm 104)

25 And upon the wings of his Spirit hath my body been carried away upon exceedingly high mountains. And mine eyes have beheld great things, yea, even too great for man; therefore I was bidden that I should not write them. (2 Nephi 4)

It is worth noting that the two most common English translations of the Hebrew root "ruach" (רוּחַare "wind" (about 100 times) and "Spirit/spirit" (about 200 times) in the Hebrew Bible.

See also 2 Samuel 22:11.


Because of Mine Enemies




8 Lead me, O Lord, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face. (Psalm 5)


11 Teach me thy way, O Lord, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies. (Psalm 27)


18 Draw nigh unto my soul, and redeem it: deliver me because of mine enemies. (Psalm 69)

27 And why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh? Yea, why should I give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul? Why am I angry because of mine enemy? ...
29 Do not anger again because of mine enemies. Do not slacken my strength because of mine afflictions. (2 Nephi 4)



I Will Praise Thee Forever



9 I will praise thee for ever, because thou hast done it: and I will wait on thy name; for it is good before thy saints. (Psalm 52)

30 Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation. (2 Nephi 4)

Many more examples of Psalms language in 2 Nephi 4 to come in the next part.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...