Monday, March 9, 2020

Internal BoM references connected to 2 Nephi 33 -- Part 2

In part 1 we looked at the first half of 2 Nephi 33 and how it demonstrates that both
  • Nephi used themes and phrases from his previous writings to create a sort of summary
  • Moroni used themes and phrases from 2 Nephi 33 in his writings, particularly in Ether 12
We will now look at the second half of the chapter. The trend continues, even though Ether 12 is not the only part of Moroni's writings quoting this part of 2 Nephi 33, but also Ether 4 (we saw one example of this also in part 1) and Moroni 10. With the same color coding as before, I'm marking these references, at least the most unique ones that I can identify.
8 I have charity for the Jew—I say Jew, because I mean them from whence I came.
9 I also have charity for the Gentiles. But behold, for none of these can I hope except they shall be reconciled unto Christ, and enter into the narrow gate, and walk in the strait path which leads to life [2 Nephi 31:18:"And then are ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life; yea, ye have entered in by the gate"], and continue in the path until the end of the day of probation. 
10 And now, my beloved brethren, and also Jew, and all ye ends of the earth, hearken unto these words and believe in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ [2 Nephi 32:3: "the words of Christ" (repeated three times in this verse)], and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good.
11 And if they are not the words of Christ, judge ye—for Christ will show unto you, with power and great glory, that they are his words, at the last day [Ether 4:10: "if it so be that I do not speak, judge ye; for ye shall know that it is I that speaketh, at the last day" / Moroni 7:35: "God will show unto you, with power and great glory at the last day, that they are true"]; and you and I shall stand face to face before his bar; and ye shall know that I have been commanded of him to write these things [Moroni 10:27: "ye shall see me at the bar of God; and the Lord God will say unto you: Did I not declare my words unto you, which were written by this man"], notwithstanding my weakness [Ether 12:40: "because of my weakness in writing"].
12 And I pray the Father in the name of Christ that many of us, if not all, may be saved in his kingdom at that great and last day.
13 And now, my beloved brethren, all those who are of the house of Israel, and all ye ends of the earth, I speak unto you as the voice of one crying from the dust [Moroni 10:27: "as one speaking out of the dust"]: Farewell until that great day shall come [Ether 12:38: "And now I, Moroni, bid farewell...until we shall meet before the judgment-seat of Christ,"].
14 And you that will not partake of the goodness of God, and respect the words of the Jews, and also my words, and the words which shall proceed forth out of the mouth of the Lamb of God [2 Nephi 29:2,4: "the words of your seed should proceed forth out of my mouth unto your seed...it shall proceed forth from the Jews" (similar language also in 1 Nephi 13 and 2 Nephi 3, see 1 Nephi 13:38, for instance)], behold, I bid you an everlasting farewell [see "farewell" in the previous verse], for these words shall condemn you at the last day.
15 For what I seal on earth, shall be brought against you at the judgment bar; for thus hath the Lord commanded me, and I must obey. Amen.
Critics could argue that this is just a case of Joseph Smith repeating some of his favorite phrases. But I think that would look very different. What we observe here is way too systematic. It is obvious that Nephi repeats from his previous writings to summarize in his final words. It is also obvious that Moroni has studied the small plates and uses specific parts as inspiration for his own writings. Alma, Jacob, etc are almost entirely out of the equation here. If this were all Joseph Smith anyway, we would not see this distinction.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...