Saturday, March 7, 2020

Internal BoM references connected to 2 Nephi 33 -- Part 1

Having studied the Book of Mormon very thoroughly for a while, I more easily recognize phrases from elsewhere in the text that are not necessarily cross-referenced in the footnotes. Particularly in 2 Nephi 33, I see a lot of these. This is Nephi's final words, and includes a sort of summary of his writings. At least he references a lot of his earlier writings from 1 and 2 Nephi. But we also see that Moroni uses Nephi's final words in this chapter as inspiration, especially when he writes Ether 12, which is Moroni's farewell to his Readers (see Ether 12:38). Ether 12 did not end up being his final words, but keep in mind that he had not originally intended to not write any more after he had abbreviated the Jaredite record (see Moroni 1:4).

So we have:
  • Nephi's references to his earlier writings
  • Moroni borrowing from Nephi's final words in his writings
I will quote the whole chapter and include these references. But I need to break it down, so the first half is given in this post and the second half in part 2.
And now I, Nephi, cannot write all the things which were taught among my people; neither am I mighty in writing, like unto speaking [Ether 12:23: "thou hast made us mighty in word by faith, but thou hast not made us mighty in writing;"]; for when a man speaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children of men.
But behold, there are many that harden their hearts against the Holy Spirit, that it hath no place in them; wherefore, they cast many things away which are written and esteem them as things of naught .
But I, Nephi, have written what I have written, and I esteem it as of great worth [1 Nephi 19:7"For the things which some men esteem to be of great worth, both to the body and soul, others set at naught"], and especially unto my people. For I pray continually for them by day, and mine eyes water my pillow by night, because of them; and I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry.
And I know that the Lord God will consecrate my prayers for the gain of my people [2 Nephi 32:9:"pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee"]. And the words which I have written in weakness will be made strong unto them [Ether 12:37:"And because thou hast seen thy weakness thou shalt be made strong"]; for it persuadeth them to do good [Ether 4:11: "it persuadeth men to do good."]; it maketh known unto them of their fathers; and it speaketh of Jesus, and persuadeth them to believe in him, and to endure to the end, which is life eternal.
And it speaketh harshly against sin, according to the plainness of the truth; wherefore, no man will be angry at the words which I have written [1 Nephi 16:3: "if ye were righteous...ye would not murmur because of the truth"save he shall be of the spirit of the devil.
glory in plainness [2 Nephi 25:4: "my soul delighteth in plainness"]; I glory in truth; I glory in my Jesus, for he hath redeemed my soul from hell [2 Nephi 1:15: "the Lord hath redeemed my soul from hell"].
I have charity for my people, and great faith in Christ [Ether 12:28:" I will show unto them that faith, hope and charity bringeth unto me"] that I shall meet many souls spotless at his judgment-seat [Ether 12:38: "we shall meet before the judgment-seat of Christ, where all men shall know that my garments are not spotted"].
These textual connections are way too many and distinct to be coincidental. In part 2 we will look at the second half of the chapter.



ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...