Wednesday, February 12, 2020

What is the word of God? -- Part 1

I've been thinking a lot about the "word of God" -- what it really is and what it means to "hold to the rod."

In these posts (post 1 and post 2) I presented an idea that the "iron rod" depicted in Lehi's dream might be something other than a handrail, as is commonly assumed.  There are beautiful lessons to be learned if we think of the "rod" as an invitation to participate in sacred covenants by a divinely-authorized messenger.

In this post, I'll summarize some of the results of my deep dive into the concept of the rod in scripture, and its connection to prophets, priesthood, covenants, judgment, and the atonement of Jesus Christ. We'll start with Moses and the symbolic meaning of the rod. Then we'll move to the Book of Mormon and end in the Book of Revelation.


The Symbol of the Rod



Moses' rod was a common-place tool he used to herd sheep.  This object became a powerful metaphor for his divinely-appointed role as the leader of the children of Israel. He performed miracles with it, including parting the Red Sea and providing water from the rock for the children of Israel. Moses' rod was a symbol of his prophetic power.

It seems that in Old Testament times, the rod is closely associated with the covenant:

36 I will judge you the same way I judged your ·ancestors [fathers] in the ·desert [wilderness] of the land of Egypt, says the Lord God37 I will ·count you like sheep [L make you pass under the rod/shepherd’s staff; Lev. 27:32] and will bring you into ·line with [L the bond of] my ·agreement [covenant; treaty]38 I will ·get rid of [purge out] those who ·refuse to obey me [revolt] and ·who turn [rebel] against me. I will bring them out of the land where they are now living, but they will never enter the land of Israel. (Ezekial 20, Expanded Bible)

From the Cambridge Bible, commentary on Ezekial 20:37:

37to pass under the rod] According to the usage of the language (Leviticus 27:32, cf. Jeremiah 33:13) the rod or staff here is that of the shepherd, which he uses in counting his flock. “The shepherds carried a staff (Psalm 23:4Micah 7:4Zechariah 11:7) and used it in counting when they brought the beasts forth from the place where they were kept or made them go into it. It was customary to count the beasts every day (Jeremiah 33:23), usually at evening when they came home (Theocr. Ezekiel 8:16; Virg. Georg. iv. 436), sometimes twice, morning and evening (Virg. Ecl. iii. 34),” Dillm. on Leviticus 27:32. (source)

The same rod used by the shepherd to protect and number his flock could be used to strike an attacking beast.  Similarly, the word of God can guide us to salvation or cause us to stumble (see 1 Peter 2).

In light of this symbolism, I find deeper meaning in this psalm:


1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. (Psalm 23)

The pastoral symbols here fit into the millennial prophecies of Isaiah, from this post.

A Connection to the Temple and the Covenant Path


The rod is a tool used by a shepherd to size up and sort his flock. Similarly, the word of God is a tool used to size up and divide the believers from the unbelievers. Notice the symbolism used by John:

And there was given me a reed like unto a rodand the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein(Revelation 11)

John is commanded by the angel to measure the people with a rod.  It's a powerful symbol. The same rod that comforts His people can be used to smite the earth in judgment:



8 And it shall come to pass that the Lord God shall commence his work among all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, to bring about the restoration of his people upon the earth.
9 And with righteousness shall the Lord God judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth. And he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth; and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.
10 For the time speedily cometh that the Lord God shall cause a great division among the people, and the wicked will he destroy; and he will spare his people, yea, even if it so be that he must destroy the wicked by fire. (2 Nephi 30)

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...