Monday, February 3, 2020

Intertextual connections in 1 Nephi

I keep finding these subtle intertextual connections in 1 Nephi and wonder if Nephi put them in there intentionally? I think he did. Having studied the Book of Mormon deeper than ever for a few years now, I have come to realize that the text is far more detailed, complex and well-structured than I had thought before. Nephi didn't make the small plates until he had been in the promised land for a while and separated from his brothers. He could reflect on his life up to that point and I think he spent much time planning and perhaps drafting the text before he engraved it.

I pointed out an intertextual connection between 1 Nephi 11 and 15 some days ago. Reading chapter 18, I found two more. It seems that Nephi uses these to create a contrast, to show the readers "The Two Ways" and the consequence of choosing each of them. The example I linked does exactly that. The two examples I will give below do the same. In 1 Nephi 18:9-10
9 And after we had been driven forth before the wind for the space of many days, behold, my brethren and the sons of Ishmael and also their wives began to make themselves merry, insomuch that they began to dance, and to sing, and to speak with much rudeness, yea, even that they did forget by what power they had been brought thither; yea, they were lifted up unto exceeding rudeness.
10 And I, Nephi, began to fear exceedingly lest the Lord should be angry with us, and smite us because of our iniquity, that we should be swallowed up in the depths of the sea; wherefore, I, Nephi, began to speak to them with much soberness
1 Nephi 16:20 and 18:16
And it came to pass that Laman and Lemuel and the sons of Ishmael did begin to murmur exceedingly, because of their sufferings and afflictions in the wilderness; and also my father began to murmur against the Lord his God; yea, and they were all exceedingly sorrowful, even that they did murmur against the Lord.
Nevertheless, I did look unto my God, and I did praise him all the day long; and I did not murmur against the Lord because of mine afflictions.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...