Sunday, February 9, 2020

Intertextual connections between 2 Nephi 3 and Ether 12

In 2 Nephi 3, Lehi is quoting Joseph's prophecies on the brass plates. These were highly esteemed by Book of Mormon prophets. Nephi says: "And the prophecies which he wrote, there are not many greater." (2 Nephi 4:2). This may explain why we see several expressions and themes from 2 Nephi 3 recurring several times in the Book of Mormon. We have previously shown that this is done in 2 Nephi 25-33 and Mormon 8

I just noticed another case of this. 2 Nephi 3:21
and the weakness of their words will I make strong in their faith, unto the remembering of my covenant which I made unto thy fathers.
In Ether 12:27
if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
And in Ether 12:37
If they have not charity it mattereth not unto thee, thou hast been faithful; wherefore, thy garments shall be made clean. And because thou hast seen thy weakness thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father.
It is interesting to compare the two cyan parts. The same concepts (green and yellow) followed by "unto the...". But in 2 Nephi 3, when talking about the Book of Mormon prophets in general, it is "unto the remembering of my covenants which I made unto thy [Joseph's] fathers [i.e. Abraham, Isaac and Jacob]". In Ether 12, when the Lord talks to Moroni in particular, it is "unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father". It is fascinating how the connection to 2 Nephi 3 remains even though it is saying something very different.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...