Friday, January 17, 2020

Lehi's prophecies in 1 Nephi 10

As I read 1 Nephi 10 for my CFM study, I made a few observations. OK, the first one isn't mine but something I remembered having once read.

"A Messiah"

In verse 4, Lehi prophesies of the coming of "a Messiah". This sounds a bit strange. We would usually say "the Messiah" and refer specifically to Christ. But "a Messiah" actually reveals good understanding of the Hebrew. "Messiah" means anointed and designated king. So Lehi prophesied of a king that would arise. There was no Christ yet to refer to in retrospect, but Lehi would soon explain what kind of king this would be...

Messiah = Savior of the world

Lehi goes on in verse 4 to say "a Messiah, or, in other words, a Savior of the world". This is obvious to us, but as discussed in a previous post, this was not at all obvious to Jews at the time. Many, if not most Jews both today and in Lehi's time, would view the Messiah as a literal king of David's lineage, redeeming or liberating Israel and re-establish their kingdom. Even though it seems strange now, "Savior of the world", was quite radical at the time, which may be one of the reasons Nephi/Lehi makes this clarification both in verses 4 and 5. This is not my field of expertise, but I suspect that this idea of a Savior for the whole world and a "priestly" king rather than a worldly king, was more common in the High Priest tradition that was likely Lehi's heritage.

Olive tree and branches

In verses 12-14, when Lehi compares Israel to an olive tree, I was going to write about how he had likely been reading Zenos as quoted in Jacob 5, but found that this has already been addressed, so I just throw in the link instead.

Connection to Nephi's vision

I have never noticed before but in verse 17, Nephi states
And it came to pass after I, Nephi, having heard all the words of my father, concerning the things which he saw in a vision, and also the things which he spake by the power of the Holy Ghost...I, Nephi, was desirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the Holy Ghost
Notice that there are two things that Nephi wants to learn for himself. The typical narrative I have heard in church is that Nephi wanted to see what his father saw in a dream and was blessed to see that and much more. I don't think that is a correct description. In 1 Nephi 11-14, Nephi gets to see what his father saw (in 1 Nephi 8) and what his father spake (in 1 Nephi 10). Keep in mind that Lehi said a lot of things that Nephi did not write, probably because it would have been redundant when he described his own vision in subsequent chapters
And after this manner of language did my father prophesy and speak unto my brethren, and also many more things which I do not write in this book (verse 15)
Even though we have the very abbreviated version, we know that Lehi talked about John the Baptist, the first coming of Jesus, his crucifixion and resurrection, the Jews rejecting him, the scattering of Israel, the fate of the gentiles, people being led to the promised land, the gathering of the remnant of Israel plus "many more things".

What we read in 1 Nephi 11-14 is exactly this, with elements from Lehi's dream interspersed. It's actually very consistent and complex. I plan to study this further and perhaps post some details later.

Revisiting the topic of searching God's mysteries diligently leading to personal revelation

Verse 19 is a repetition of key elements in a chiasmus in chapter 2. Compare elements B, B' and the center of the chiasmus
 and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God
B'  for thou hast sought me diligently
F  the things which the Lord had manifested unto me by his Holy Spirit.
with 1 Nephi 10:19
For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost 

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...