Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Zenos influencing Nephi's psalm?

I found a connection between Alma 33 and 2 Nephi 4 that seems more than coincidental. The second half of 2 Nephi 4 has become known as Nephi's psalm. It is very poetic and as such seems to draw on Old Testament/Hebrew poetry and content, which makes sense as Nephi spent his childhood in Jerusalem. One of the sources of influence seems to be Zenos. Zenos seems to be an important prophet on the brass plates, even though we only have parts of his writings through various quotes in the Book of Mormon. One quote we know is from Zenos, is found in Alma 33. Compare this with 2 Nephi 4:29-31
29 Do not anger again because of mine enemies. Do not slacken my strength because of mine afflictions.
30 Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation.
31 O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul? Wilt thou deliver me out of the hands of mine enemies?
with Alma 33:10-11
10 Yea, and thou hast also heard me when I have been cast out and have been despised by mine enemies; yea, thou didst hear my cries, and wast angry with mine enemies, and thou didst visit them in thine anger with speedy destruction.
11 And thou didst hear me because of mine afflictions and my sincerity; and it is because of thy Son that thou hast been thus merciful unto me, therefore I will cry unto thee in all mine afflictions, for in thee is my joy; for thou hast turned thy judgments away from me, because of thy Son.
Nephi is not directly quoting the Zenos passage in Alma 33. But we have seen other examples of Zenos having an influence on Nephi's writings without being explicitly mentioned. This seems to be the case here as well.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...