Tuesday, December 10, 2019

The welfare of our souls

In a secular society, well-being or welfare is largely defined by the fulfillment of physical or temporal needs. Also for Christians, to feed the hungy, clothe the naked, etc. has always been an important part of discipleship and is brought up in several Book of Mormon passages like Alma 34:28, Mosiah 4:14-26 and Jacob 2:19. Yet it seems that the Book of Mormon in general is even more concerned about our spiritual well-being.

The word, "welfare" is found 20 times in the Book of Mormon. 7 of these is part of the expression, "welfare of your/their souls". There is also "your own eternal welfare", "welfare of Zion" and "welfare of the covenant people". The Book of Mormon is a frequent reminder to us of what is really "the most desirable above all things" and "the most joyous to the soul" (1 Nephi 11:22-23).

Another expression found 10 times in the Book of Mormon and nowhere in the Bible is "great worth". It is interesting to note the only time out of those 10 where this refers to something secular. It's in Alma 11:25 when Zeezrom is trying to trick Amulek into denying God by offering him "six onties, which are of great worth". Amulek doesn't fall for that because he knows of other things of greater worth that would be compromised if he denied God. The other 9 "great worth" expressions in the Book of Mormon refer the scriptures/prophecies/commandments/word of God or the marvelous work in the latter days

Some of my favorite examples of Book of Mormon prophets emphasizing what really is of greatest importance and their concern for the welfare of the souls of others:

2 Nephi 2:30
And I have none other object save it be the everlasting welfare of your souls.
1 Nephi 8:37
And he did exhort them then with all the feeling of a tender parent, that they would hearken to his words
 1 Nephi 15:25
Wherefore, I, Nephi, did exhort them to give heed unto the word of the Lord; yea, I did exhort them with all the energies of my soul, and with all the faculty which I possessed
Enos 1:9
I began to feel a desire for the welfare of my brethren, the Nephites; wherefore, I did pour out my whole soul unto God for them
2 Nephi 1:16
And I desire that ye should remember to observe the statutes and the judgments of the Lord; behold, this hath been the anxiety of my soul from the beginning.
2 Nephi 33:3
But I, Nephi, have written what I have written, and I esteem it as of great worth, and especially unto my people. For I pray continually for them by day, and mine eyes water my pillow by night, because of them
Mosiah 28:3
Now they were desirous that salvation should be declared to every creature, for they could not bear that any human soul should perish; yea, even the very thoughts that any soul should endure endless torment did cause them to quake and tremble.
...and so on. We need to worry about the right things and the Book of Mormon reminds us what those are.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...