Sunday, November 24, 2019

A surprising find in the Joseph Smith translation of Exodus

In my previous post, I speculated that the end of Psalm 95 and Alma 12 were based on an earlier lost source. To my surprise, after researching the topic a bit further, I found support from the Prophet Joseph Smith. Here is the JST of Exodus 34:1-2

And the Lord said unto Moses, Hew thee two other tables of stone, like unto the first, and I will write upon them also, the words of the law, according as they were written at the first on the tables which thou brakest; but it shall not be according to the first, for I will take away the priesthood out of their midst; therefore my holy order, and the ordinances thereof, shall not go before them; for my presence shall not go up in their midst, lest I destroy them.  But I will give unto them the law as at the first, but it shall be after the law of a carnal commandment; for I have sworn in my wrath, that they shall not enter into my presence, into my rest, in the days of their pilgrimage. Therefore do as I have commanded thee, and be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning unto mount Sinai, and present thyself there to me, in the top of the mount.
The italic text is the additions by Joseph Smith. The bold parts are the ones that demonstrate a clear link to Alma 12 and 13. The bold text in verse 2 is the statement perhaps referred to in the end of Alma 12, Psalm 95 and Jacob 1 that I cited in my previous post. Alma 13 links this to the priesthood or God's holy order, just like the JST of Exodus 34:1. It seems to be saying that the Priesthood is the means to lead God's children into His rest. With that in mind, compare with D&C 84:18-24

the priesthood which is after the holiest order of God. And this greater priesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the key of the mysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the knowledge of God. Therefore, in the ordinances thereof, the power of godliness is manifest. And without the ordinances thereof, and the authority of the priesthood, the power of godliness is not manifest unto men in the flesh; For without this no man can see the face of God, even the Father, and live. Now this Moses plainly taught to the children of Israel in the wilderness, and sought diligently to sanctify his people that they might behold the face of God; But they hardened their hearts and could not endure his presence; therefore, the Lord in his wrath, for his anger was kindled against them, swore that they should not enter into his rest while in the wilderness, which rest is the fulness of his glory.
This is starting to make a lot of sense.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...