Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Mosiah 27:29: Hebrew poetry and a theological comment

Mosiah 27:29 is a classic example of parallellism, a Hebrew form of poetry. One idea is repeated twice with different words:
"I was in the darkest abyss; but now I behold the marvelous light of God. 
My soul was racked with eternal torment; but I am snatched, and my soul is pained no more."

On a more theological note, how can one be racked with eternal torment and then be snatched out of it? Compare with D&C 19
"10 For, behold, the mystery of godliness, how great is it! For, behold, I am endless, and the punishment which is given from my hand is endless punishment, for Endless is my name. Wherefore
11 Eternal punishment is God’s punishment."

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...