Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Intertextual Connection between the words of Alma the Younger and Abinadi--"Discover the abominations"

In two earlier posts, I discussed the influence Abinadi has on Alma-1 and subsequently Alma-2.  Those posts center on the topic of the first resurrection.  I found another example of Alma-2 paraphrasing the words of Abinadi in a letter to his son Helaman, this time on the topic of works of darkness/abominations.

Compare Alma 37:24-25
24 And now, my son, these interpreters were prepared that the word of God might be fulfilled, which he spake, saying:
25 I will bring forth out of darkness unto light all their secret works and their abominations; and except they repent I will destroy them from off the face of the earth; and I will bring to light all their secrets and abominations, unto every nation that shall hereafter possess the land.


...with Mosiah 12:8
8 And it shall come to pass that except they repent I will utterly destroy them from off the face of the earth; yet they shall leave a record behind them, and I will preserve them for other nations which shall possess the land; yea, even this will I do that I may discover the abominations of this people to other nations.

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...