Sunday, June 23, 2019

1 Nephi 1:1

The name Nephi likely stems from an Egyptian word nfr, which means "good" or "goodly". Thus Nephi's introduction of himself to the reader is likely a wordplay on his own name.

1 I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.

Furthermore, Nephi concludes his writings with the following words, in 2 Nephi 33:10 and 14, forming an inclusio of sorts.

10...And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good.

14 And you that will not partake of the goodness of God, and respect the words of the Jews, and also my words, and the words which shall proceed forth out of the mouth of the Lamb of God, behold, I bid you an everlasting farewell...

ANNOUNCEMENT - new hosting service for BookofMormonNotes.com

We're excited to announce that this blog has a new home at WordPress.  Use  this link  to get there.  New projects, content, and feature...