In the Book of Enoch (an apocryphal book which was considered scripture in Old Testament times and by the early Christians) we find a passage which outlines this "creation-covenant connection" pretty clearly. Notice the elements of the physical creation, listed in great detail. At several points (highlighted in red) the text specifically indicates that the elements are kept in check "through the oath." Notice also that at the end of this excerpt there is a specific mention of sinners being destroyed from the face of the Earth (highlighted in yellow):
16. And these are the secrets of this oath, and they are strong through this oath, and Heaven was suspended, before the world was created, and forever.
17. And through it the earth was founded upon the water, and from the hidden recesses of the mountains come beautiful waters, from the creation of the world and for ever.
18. And through that oath the sea was created, and as its foundation, for the time of anger, he placed for it the sand, and it does not go beyond it, from the creation of the world and for ever.
19. And through that oath the deeps were made firm, and they stand and do not move from their place, from the creation of the world and for ever.
20. And through that oath the Sun and the Moon complete their course and do not transgress their command, from the creation of the world and for ever.
21. And through that oath the stars complete their course, and he calls their names, and they answer him, from the creation of the world and for ever.
22. And likewise the spirits of the water, of the winds, and of all the breezes, and their paths, according to all the groups of the spirits.
23. And there are kept the storehouses of the sound of thunder, and of the light of the lightning; and there are kept the storehouses of the hail, and the hoarfrost, and the storehouses of the mist, and the storehouses of the rain and dew.
24. And all these make their confession and give thanks in front of the Lord of Spirits and sing praises with all their power. And their food consists of all their thanksgiving and they give thanks, praise, and exalt, in the name of the Lord of Spirits, forever and ever.
25. And this oath is strong over them and through it they are kept safe and their courses are not disturbed.
26. And they had great joy and they blessed, praised, and exalted, because the name of that Son of Man had been revealed to them.
27. And he sat on the Throne of His Glory and the whole judgment was given to the Son of Man and he will cause the sinners to pass away and be destroyed from the face of the Earth. (1 Enoch 69, source link)
That's about as clear as it can get.
Here's a really interesting detail that stood out to me -- i couldn't help but notice the mention of thunder and lightning (in blue above), which reminded me of the prophecy (and later description) of the destructive elements preceding the coming of Christ to the new world (see 1 Nephi 12:4 and 3 Nephi 8:6-7). This could certainly be coincidental, but is it possible Nephi was shown in vision the same elements he would have known from the Book of Enoch?